• Yahoo!
  • My Yahoo!
  • Mail
  •      Make Y! your home page
Yahoo! Search
Welcome, harrieshc[Sign Out, My Account]
hugh.harries · hugh.harries@gmail.com | Group Owner  - Edit Membership Start a Group | My Groups
CICLY · Lethal Yellowing Disease of Coconut Palm

Yahoo! Groups Tips

Did you know...
Learn, share, and take your group to new heights with Moderator Central. Check it out.

Best of Y! Groups

   Check them out and nominate your group.
Stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest Yahoo! Groups news.
Join the official Moderator Central Group today.

Messages

  Messages Help
Advanced
CLY and Koch   Message List  
Reply | Forward | Delete Message #2133 of 2180 |
Re: CLY and Koch

Jim

You ask "In relation to CLY which of Koch's
postulates have been fully satisfied?"

Koch's postulates and LY

1. The microorganism must be found in all
organisms suffering from the disease, but not in
healthy organisms - Yes

2. The microorganism must be isolated from a
diseased organism and grown in pure culture -
Qualified yes because the LY phytoplasma cannot be
cultured but there are laboratory techniques that
can confirm its identity

3. The cultured microorganism should cause
disease when introduced into a healthy organism -
Qualified no because it cannot be cultured, no has an
inoculation method been developed (even insect
transmission is difficult to achieve)

4. The microorganism must be reisolated from the
inoculated, diseased experimental host and
identified as being identical to the original specific
causative agent - No

Perhaps a phytopathologist would care to come in
with more information?

Hugh

--- Jim McNamara <juilmc@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Dear Hugh,
>
> In earlier correspondence about Coconut Lethal
> Yellowing(CLY) you pointed
> out that:
> '....all of Koch's postulates have not yet been
> fulfilled......'. This is
> another aspect of CLY that reminds me of Mundulla
> Yellows (MY). Back in the
> days when Randles and his colleagues were
> propounding a pathogenic
> phytoplasma as a possible cause for MY, they were
> reporting difficulty with
> these. In this case, it seems now, that no
> microbial
> pathogen, nor even any
> biotic pathogen, is causal, following the work of
> Luck and her team, and
> others. In relation to CLY which of Koch's
> postulates have been fully
> satisfied?
>
> Jim
> Mr J. A. McNamara, 13 McCord Road, Two Wells SA
> 5501
> 08 8520 2415
>
> -----Original Message-----
> > From: Hugh Harries [mailto:harrieshc@yahoo.com]
> > Sent: Wednesday, 30 May 2007 11:40 PM
> > To: jim.mcna
> > Subject: Re: C I C L Y The Information about the
> > leaf yellow disease in
> > Palmae?
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > You addressed your message to the CICLY group
> > moderator instead of the group at large so it does
> > not
> > get circulated to the members automatically and,
> as
> > your report does not specifically mention
> "coconut"
> > or
> > "palm", I have no reason to forward it to them.
> >
> > I acknowledge your concern that leaf yellowing
> > "diseases" can be mis-diagnosed and I agree with
> > your
> > report where you say "Unfortunately the act of
> > naming
> > a disease does allow a form of nominal fallacy to
> > take
> > hold. It is the one in which one is apt to assume
> > that
> > because it is a disease it is also of microbial
> > origin
> > and infectious, while these things may or may not
> be
> > true". I also presume that it is merely
> coincidental
> > that Dagmar Hanold has just recently sent emails
> to
> > CICLY.
> >
> > But please allow me to assure you that coconut
> > lethal
> > yellowing is a well-documented disease for which
> > very
> > many people, from farmers to pathologists have
> > diagnosed their favourite "cause" and offered an
> > equally wide variety of remedies, long before an
> > insect-vectored phytoplasma pathogen was
> identified.
> >
> >
> > However, I also admit that all of Koch's
> postulates
> > haave not yet been fulfilled so, should you still
> > wish
> > to write to cicly@yahoogroups.com about your
> > concerns,
> > I would ask only that you should first read about
> > lethal yellowing at the CICLY web site
> > http://www.cicy.mx/dir_acad/cicly/main.html
> >
> > Best wishes
> >
> > Hugh
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
___________________________________________________________
>
> Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't
> settle for less, sign up for
> your free account today
>
http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html
>
>



___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for
your free account today
http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html



Sat Jun 9, 2007 7:56 am

Hugh Harries <harrieshc@yahoo.com>
hugh.harries
Offline Offline
Send Email Send Email

Forward | Delete
Message #2133 of 2180 |
Expand Messages Author Sort by Date

Dear Hugh, In earlier correspondence about Coconut Lethal Yellowing(CLY) you pointed out that: '....all of Koch's postulates have not yet been...
Jim McNamara
jim.mcna
Offline Send Email
Jun 6, 2007
3:39 pm

Jim You ask "In relation to CLY which of Koch's postulates have been fully satisfied?" Koch's postulates and LY 1. The microorganism must be found in all ...
Hugh Harries
hugh.harries
Offline Send Email
Jun 9, 2007
7:57 am

Copyright 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy - Copyright/IP Policy - Terms of Service - Guidelines - Help